Please complete the following assignment in time for class on Friday, January 14. Please be sure to share your thoughts in the comment section below, and also be prepared to discuss these readings in class.
Thread 2: Interpretation, Digital Storytelling, & Podcasting
- Locate one episode of one podcast, listen to it, share a link to it, and tell us what you like about it and how it could influence our work.
- Read the following online documents and respond to the questions below:
David L. Larson, ed., Meaningful Interpretation: How to Connect Hearts and Minds to Places, Objects, and Other Resources, Sections entitled:
- An Interpretive Dialogue
- Interpretive Themes
- The Interpretive Equation
- The Interpretive Process Module
- The Interpretive Analysis Module
Chana Joffe-Walts, The Tricks of Planet Money
What similarities do you see between these two approaches to connecting visitors to compelling stories? What differences?
As you read both documents, reflect on experiences you’ve had with various forms of interpretation, and think about when you have (and haven’t) seen (or heard) these principles in action. What worked? What didn’t?
What specific points or principles from each resonate most with you? Which do you think will be most helpful in guiding your work in this class?