The first day of class is just three days away!
I’ll be distributing syllabi at our first meeting, but here are a few details you’ll need to know in advance of the first class.
First of all, classes will take place on Friday mornings from 9 a.m. to Noon in the conference room of the Indian Trade Shop building within the reconstructed fur trade stockade at Fort Vancouver National Historic Site in Vancouver, WA.
Yes, the course location is Fort Vancouver, NOT PSU.
To get to our classroom at the fort, please follow these directions:
1. Take I-5 north across the Columbia River.
2. Take Exit 1-C and then at the end of the off-ramp turn right (east) onto Mill Plain Blvd.
3. Stay in the right lane and take the first available right (south) onto Fort
4. Continue south on Fort Vancouver Way through the traffic circle.
5. Fort Vancouver Way will dead-end at Fifth Street.
6.Turn left (east) on Fifth Street and go about 400 meters.
7. Turn right (south) into the gravel parking lot on the right. You’ll see stockade in the background and a sign with the NPS arrowhead in the foreground.
8. Park here; walk into the stockade. I’ll meet you at the front gate!
Please be sure to allow plenty of time for traffic; it is important that
each class begins promptly at 9 a.m.
Also, please note that attendance at all class sessions is mandatory! Since we’re only meeting one time each week, it’s really important that students are able to attend every class session. Missing one class is the equivalent of missing three days of a traditional one-hour class!
Our first the first class is especially important as we are diving right into the project, and have activities scheduled (including a conference call with the NPS Chief Historian in Washington D.C.) that you won’t want to miss.
See you on Friday!